The purpose of this Blog is to introduce men and women all over the World to the Doctrines of Grace; the 5 Solas; Reformation Theology and the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Obesity, Christianity, & the Gospel

Is it ok for a Christian to be overweight? I’d seen that question before, and I always turned away because I didn’t want to know the answer. As an obese person and a follower of Christ, I knew the answer but didn’t want to face up to it.
 
Avoidance doesn’t make the question any less valid. We can pluck verses from the Bible to support different views. How about “…do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?” from 1 Corinthians 6. That one is used quite a bit in support of being fit and healthy.

If you think that focusing too much on physical fitness is a problem, then you may lean toward 1 Timothy 4: “For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.”

I always found myself in the bodily-exercise-profits-a-little camp. Why? Because I didn’t like exercise, I wanted to be obese, and the less I thought about it the better. But once again, avoidance doesn’t mean the removal of the problem.

About a year ago, the opportunity opened up for a brother to speak to me regarding my weight. He told me plainly, yet lovingly, that being obese was a hindrance to my testimony. I knew it was true. I had known it all along. Now, I had to face up to it.

Here are the hard facts: obesity, in the majority of cases, is a result of gluttony. Gluttony is a lack of self-control. A lack of self-control is not fruit of the Spirit that now resides in me. It is a fruit of the flesh. I do know there are some who are overweight due to medical issues, but those cases are few and far between. For most of us in America, the problem is an abundance of food mixed with fleshly, out of control appetites.   Continue at JT Crawford

No comments: