The purpose of this Blog is to introduce men and women all over the World to the Doctrines of Grace; the 5 Solas; Reformation Theology and the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rick Warren: Praying in the Name of "Isa"

Yesterday I posted a favorable report about Rick Warren. Today I find out that he might not have prayed what I thought he prayed. According to Daniel Cordell Warren prayed in the name of "Isa", "Isa is strictly Koranic and used by Arab Muslims. Even Arab Christians don’t refer to Isa, but to Yesua. I’ve lived and studied Arabic in one of the same Muslim countries that Warren has visited, and I think he probably knows that the Arab Christian communities only refer to Jesus as “Yesua” and not “Isa” as the Muslims."



Isa

What do YOU think?

2 comments:

Michael Krahn said...

I spoke to a Muslim immigrant friend and posed the question "Who is Isa?" His immediate response was "That's Jesus in Arabic."

In Arabic countries, Isa is the name for Jesus, Allah is the name for God and he also said that Christian preachers in the mid-east commonly use Isa and Allah to refer to Jesus and God.

So basically what Rick Warren said is equivalent to an instance here when people use the word "God" and don't mean the same "God" that we mean. What he did was reverse that scenario. By using the names Yeshua and Isa for Jesus he told members of each of the Abrahamic religions that "You may not believe he is God or Messiah, but I do and I invite you to join me in that belief."

Michael Krahn said...

I put up a post about it here:

http://michaelkrahn.com/blog/2009/01/22/rick-warren-in-the-name-of-yeshua-isa-jesus/